Monday, September 26, 2011

A Curtain Conundrum

I was reading a guide on color and looking at my completely not-even-started dining room, and inspiration struck. I have a plan!

You would think I would be shouting 'eureka' or something, but there are always snags in any design. (Get used to it, Heather. Just get used to it.)

I was doing some online "window" shopping at Ikea (I mentioned I'm on a budget, right?) and I found these Henny Rand curtain panels.
They seemed absolutely perfect. The colors I wanted, grommet topped, and it even mimics the pattern of the curtains in the parlor. But, alas, there is always a catch.

My ceilings downstairs are 9' tall. These panels are only 98" long. (That's 8'2" for those of you without a calculator handy.) That is a whole ten inches of wall I would rather not see. Running one's curtains from ceiling to floor makes the space appear bigger and less closed in. People tend to enjoy larger spaces (or at least the illusion of one) because it feels more open and less like they are trapped in a tiny space.(My apologies to anyone with claustrophobia. I know, I'm one of them.)

So, back to my curtains. Do I shell out more for different curtains that are the appropriate 108" length from another store? Nope. I never spend money I don't have to. (Do you hear that, Dear?) I still intend to get these for the reasons mentioned above (i.e. price, color, pattern, style). Besides this could end up being a blessing in disguise.

Since I am putting these in a bay window, I needed a way of hanging them that would conform to the shape. That pretty much left me with making some custom rods, spending a lot on custom rods, or using Ikea's Dignitet system.
It may not look like much, but it seems to be working great for Javamom. (Click on the link to see pictures of her bay window and review of the Dignitet system.)

Are you wondering where the blessing in disguise part comes in? That extra ten inches from the top of the curtain panel to the ceiling could be just the excuse opportunity I need to try making a pelmet. Will I most likely end up with the curtains, wire hanging system, and ten inches of wall? Yes, but that is the beauty of being a home owner on a budget--there is always something more to do. If there wasn't, I'd have to find a new hobby. I'd really rather not do that.

I'm sure I'll keep you posted on what I end up doing, but I do like the option of dressing up my bay window for less than a hundred bucks. For now, I save my pennies and keep dreaming the dream. Sometimes I even get to live it. :)

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I am anxious to see how the pelmet turns out. The other option is to select a coordinating fabric and sew a 10" border on the bottom of the curtains. You could then use the same fabric to make matching place mats or a table runner! :)

Heather said...

Excellent point, Shannon. Thanks! :)